Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Project "Read More"

I am employing several sneaky little tactics in an effort to promote healthy reading habits in our home, one of them being to create a couple of fun little reading nooks for the kiddos!  Today I FINALLY got around to working on (and, SHOCK, actually finishing) this first one...it's in our playroom, and the kids L-O-V-E it!  I still need to add a light, and this weekend we're installing rain gutter bookshelves like these and these.  I can hardly wait!  This is the PERFECT solution to adding bookshelves (ideally allowing books to be forward-facing) without taking up any of the shrinking floor space in our family/play room!  Okay....here's the new Book Nook!  Enjoy!

So, there is a 36 inch space on either side of our entertainment center between it and the wall.  
This little corner used to be a cluttered heap of toys, 
but I had a vision that it would someday be a fun, inviting, whimsical little nook 
just begging for a little pre-schooler to curl up in with a good book.


I have a 4-y-o boy and a 3-y-o girl, so I needed something gender neutral, 
so I was super excited when I found this smokey blue fabric with 
multi-colored circles...some pink--her favorite, and some orange--his favorite!



My little bookworms!


Pennant details...love this scallop stitch on my sewing machine, and I love the extra little pops of color achieved by adding the ribbons in between each pennant.



I'd love to hear how you promote good reading habits in your homes!

5 comments:

  1. That's so wonderful! Do you take it down when they're done? My kids LOVE setting up forts but I love the banner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I don't take it down when they're done, but it's just on spring rods, so it can be taken down whenever needed. So far it has stayed up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great project to do with your kids! I'd love it if you'd link this up to my Home and Family Friday linky party.

    becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com

    I also write a literacy blog you might be interested in.

    lovelaughterandliteracy.blogspot.com

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becca, and thanks! I'd love to link up, but I can't find where to do it...do you have a link you could send?

    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete